Saturday, February 5, 2011

Yeah Yeah New Mexico.

Its a mad house.  This modern life.


Its a mad house.  My faithless bride.


Art Star.


My god Karen O is just the best.  I recently went through another blog that had written praise about her saying she was great because her wardrobe, stage presence, and that she didn’t care about being beautiful.  I have disagree with the last statement.  It's not that she cares or doesn’t care about being beautiful.  She just is.  She knows she’s  awesome and grooves to her own tune.  I love Karen.
I drove through the Hopi/Navajo reservation to Tuba City today.  Vast open spaces.  Beautiful.  So all my interviews are done.  All I need is a job.
I was flipping through radio stations and found a native religious chanting station.  Probably Hopi.  Maybe Navajo.  Awesome.  
Even the concept of the reservation is strange.  I was talking with some of the physicians at lunch yesterday about culture and socio-economic problems of our patients.  Many of the problems mirrored the troubles of the Maasai.  There’s no work on the reservation, but people are encouraged to stay there because they get money from the government.  Unemployment is 65%.  Unheard of.
I also heard at Ft. Defiance that only 20% go away to college (ok this isn’t terrible I thought) but then only 5% of Native Americans (or just Navajo? not sure) will actually graduate.  I asked why.  My potential preceptor replied that it was geography.  For people that have lived their life only on the reservation, whose entire religion revolves around living between 4 mountain peaks, how are they able to finish college?  It is culture shock.
Was it the cure?
Hope not.
The physicians were also talking about differences in the Navajo between generations.  The older generation still has a stronger work ethic.  They wake up early to take care of the land, take care of the cattle.  The physicians opinion was that the younger generation tended to mooch off the elders.  
From what I have seen, it is very common for the grandparents to take care of their grandchildren.  There is a lot of teen pregnancy.  I can’t say right now if this has always been the case and is cultural, or if there has been a rise in teen pregnancy in the past 20-30 years.  Yesterday I counseled a girl who had come in with a toddler on her antibiotic.  She was born in 1992.  She was 18.  I didn’t ask if the child was hers.  I wouldn’t have been surprised.
In addition to the grandchild connection, through the grapevine I heard that it wasn’t uncommon for the children/grandchildren to take grandma’s check from the government every month.  This creates problems because when grandma’s meds go missing, it is GIMC policy that we can’t replace them, but we can call a script into Walmart.  Grandma replies that she can’t afford the $4 co-pay because her kids took her money.
They probably also took her pills, a doctor replied. 
The Navajo are historically not a social bunch.  Other tribes will live together in a common area with the land surrounding them.  The Navajo space themselves out around the land.  While ties to other members of their tribe may not be as strong, they have very close ties with their family members.
I heard one of my potential preceptors remarking that it was comical to hear the technicians asking for time off because some 3rd cousin was sick.  Only immediate family members.  In America, only your nuclear family matters.  
I can imagine that along with the close family ties comes the concept of what is mine is my children’s.  At the moment, I would prefer to think that children are not maliciously stealing grandma’s check from the government, but that grandma is offering it up freely.  What is hers is also theirs.
no fame
all there is 
all there was
Before my interview, I received a tour of the facilities at Tuba.  We passed through the ICU.  I asked the most common reason of admission to the ICU.
Honestly
my future preceptor replied
The Navajo have some strange beliefs about death.  It is taboo.  They don't talk about it.  They don't want to hear about it.  If someone dies, they have to burn the entire house down and rebuild.
The most common reason for people to come into the ICU is to die.
Sometimes I feel like we are more of a nursing home than anything else.  It is much easier for them to drop grandma and grandpa off here on their death bed than to have to destroy their home and rebuild. 
I thought that this was strange.  A few other people had told me of this custom of the Navajo, but in my experience, it is generally the westerner that considers death taboo and is unable to discuss it.  I wonder where this belief came from.
Modern things don’t die just stain
Try me out, find what I’m all about
and we can make some noise not like the other boys

I've also been wondering about the water quality on the reservations.  Most of my patients say they rarely drink water.  I don't know if it is in their best interest to recommend drinking more.  The taste of the water in Gallup is questionable; I can't imagine what it is like on the reservation.

Should I tell them to boil their water?  It makes no sense to suggest buying it.  

We were also talking about drug induced nephrolithiasis on Friday over lunch.  My conclusion is that the patient in question was more likely just dehydrated.  Drugs can cause kidney stones through either decreasing excretion of calcium or purine metabolism, or if the drug itself or its metabolite are renally excreted but poorly soluble.


Triamterene, sulfonamides, and indinavir are big offenders of being renally excreted but easily crystalizing in the renal tubules.


Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors, like acetazolamide, encourage formation of calcium crystals in the kidney.  Incidence of stones is up to 10%.  Topiramate and zonisamide, anti-epileptics also under other indications, also function as carbonic anhydrase inhibitors.



And baby I'm afraid of a lot of things


But I ain't scared of loving you.

Because all I see

is what's in front of me

and that's you.






for more information on drug induced nephrolithiasis, check out...




Daudon M et al.  Drug-induced renal calculi: epidemiology, prevention and management.  Drugs 2004; 64(3):245-275.
Matlaga BR et al.  Drug-induced urinary calculi.  Reviews in Urology 2003; 5(4):227-231.

No comments:

Post a Comment