Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Sweet People

Jumatatu 20 septemba

KiSwahili word of the day is : "Tamu" for Sweet. Also can be used for "delicious!"

I have arrived in Watamu, named for "watu tamu", sweet people. I am staying at Tiki House which seems too good to be true. Its hidden off the main road, has a beautiful garden, a kitchen, hammock, and couches. The beds are Arab style and the people who work here are so helpful and friendly. I booked a snorkeling tour for tomorrow.

I have already gone to the Gede ruins and butterfly park. The Gede ruins are much larger than the ones in Mnarani and my guide, Kendi, was really cool. She was doing an unpaid internship, so we bonded over being students.

There are SO many italians here. Children in the street run up to me saying "ciao!" and speaking Italian.

I met an older American couple at an Italian restaurant; they had lived all over the U.S. so gave me great tips on American national parks.


Jumanne 21 septemba

KiSwahili word of the day is "Mikoko", Mangrove trees.

Thankfully my guy showed up to take me on the snorkeling tour, so he dropped me off at the ocean and I got on a glass bottom boat full of Kenyans and Italians. Everyone was really tan. And everything was said in either Italian or KiSwahili for the rest of the day.

We went so far out away from shore but still the water was very shallow. The reef is very large and the water was clear. There were a lot of fish, but compared to snorkeling in Maui, it was nothing spectacular. But still fun.

We stopped at a beach for lunch and were fed so much! Rice, prawns, lobster, fish, and shrimp. By the time the lobster came around I couldn't eat anymore, so I still have never eatten lobster. So good...

I paid another 500 KSH to go out in a dhow tour around the mangroves. I saw barracuda eggs and crabs. Awesome.


Jumatano 22 septemba

KiSwahili word of the day is "Msafiri". Traveler.

I'm in Malindi! (I later found out in Mombasa that Vasco de Gama was chased out of Mombasa so relanded in Malindi, where he received a warm welcome and received a wife, named Malindi, from the sultan of Malindi. The city is now named after his prize wife.)

I was sad to leave Watamu because I really liked the people that I had met. I am feeling slightly uprooted. I'm staying in Premier Guest House. I arrived an asked my took took driver to take me to one of the lonely planet recommendations and we got so horribly lost and were driving around forever on dirt roads (dying) bumping around and his gas was on empty, so any minute I was expecting it to break down and I would be stuck in the middle of no-where. Finally I was begging "Please! Just take me to any guest house! I really don't care!"

I saw the Vasco de Gama pillar and made a new friend, Muhammad. He comes from Somalia. He was really intelligent and friendly, but I think was mostly just interested in me helping him get refugee status in the U.S., which I have no idea how to help with, so eventually we parted ways. He left in 1993 and was living on Lamu for a long time. Good luck to him.

So excited to leave for Lamu tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment